Spring chicken & mushroom casserole
Easy weekend entertaining featuring another great recipe from Geoff Jansz & recreated, styled and photographed by me for Eat Well magazine.
9 organic boneless chicken thighs, diced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 medium brown onions, diced
4 celery sticks, peeled, roughly chopped
3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
1 cup white wine
1½ cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 cup tomato puree
1 tbsp olive oil, extra as required
4 cups mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped or torn (Swiss brown, oyster and field mushrooms)
2 tsp thyme leaves
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, peeled and cut into 4cm pieces
½ cup flat leaf parsley, roughly torn
A light salad of your choice to serve
- In large flame proof, lidded casserole pot, over medium to high heat.
- Brown the thigh meat in oil and remove. Pour off excess fat.
- Add onions and if necessary, a little extra olive oil, and cook until soft.
- Add celery and carrots; cook further 1 – 2 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Return chicken to the pot.
- Add wine, chicken stock, bay leaves and tomato puree. Bring to the boil.
- Place lid on casserole pot and place in preheated oven; cook 1 ¼ hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick frypan, over medium heat.
- Add butter, oil, mushrooms and thyme. Cook until soft.
- Remove mushrooms from pan.
- Return pan to heat and cook asparagus until tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove casserole from oven and add wilted mushrooms, asparagus and parsley.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Serve with crusty bread and a light salad.