Gluten free coconut pancakes
Everyone loves a good pancake and the Balinese do the sweet ones the best. Second only to the almighty Peking duck panquacks that we know and love amongst our gang. If you do not find pandan leaves, why not add a few pinches of Matcha?
NEXT COOKING CLASS Thursday 7th January 2016 12pm Byron Bay. Join a small public group of hungry foodies on a journey into food as medicine with Australia’s leading spa chef, Samantha Gowing. Discover the secrets of her world renowned Surf Spa Food. Maximum 6 students per group. Shop Now 5 places left
Coconut pandan pancake
6 pandan leaves (available in Asian food shops, usually in the freezer)
250 ml water
2 cans/800 ml coconut milk
1 cup shredded coconut
2+1 Tbsp. coconut sugar
4 Tbsp. coconut oil
2 cups rice or coconut flour
2-3 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
Coconut oil for frying
½ cup good-quality coconut milk
¼ cup maple syrup
Roughly chop the pandan leaves and put in blender with water and puree.
Strain through muslin into a large jug. Set aside. Dehydrate pulp as desired.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the can of coconut milk with the shredded coconut. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the sugar then melted butter, and whisk again until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg mixture to the coconut milk mixture, stirring well to combine. Add pandan juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Now add the wet coconut-egg-pandan juice mixture to the dry flour mixture, stirring well to combine.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan over high heat for 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium for another 30 seconds.
- Add 1 Tbsp. oil and swirl around, then ladle about ¼ cup pancake batter (for large pancakes) into the middle of the pan.
- Jiggle the pan a little or tilt to spread the batter out as required.
- When surface around is covered with bubbles, flip and cook the other side.
- Simply combine the coconut milk and syrup, stirring well
- Adjust the flavours by adding more coconut milk or more syrup as desired