I am forever devising concoctions that are dairy free for my clients who are dreaming of that cheesy feeling. With no cow or sheep’s milk yoghurt for breakfast, necessity and consumer demand led to my first trial batch of coconut yoghurt. Here’s how I made it…
2 young Thai coconuts, opened and flesh removed to yield about 1½ cups of flesh
1¼ cups coconut water from the 2 coconuts you will open, so strain well
1 teaspoon probiotic powder (I used 4 capsules of Metagenics Ultra Flora DF)
- In a Thermomix – or other fancy high speed blender, puree the coconut meat and water until it is thick and creamy.
- Stir in the probiotic and then transfer into a sterilised jar, seal.
- Incubate in a dehydrator at 100 C for 4-6 hours.
- Remove from dehydrator, allow to cool and then chill.
- Use within 5 days.
*Yields about 500 ml or more depending on how much flesh you get from your coconuts
Coconut Yoghurt with Fresh Figs
4 fresh ripe figs, trimmed and cut into quarters
2 tablespoons coconut yoghurt
- Cut figs and serve alongside coconut yoghurt