Festive fig, pecan & wild orange loaf
Here’s a healthy twist on Christmas. A quick and easy loaf that will provide all of the flavour of a full blown pud, without the flour, sugar or long, hot cooking time. This is a soft, fragrant, gluten free loaf, bursting with the scent of dried figs, vanilla and wild orange. Serve with my lemon curd, coconut yoghurt or a stunning slice of aged cheddar.
This recipe makes enough for 2 loaves using 2 x 8½” x 4½” x 2⅝” loaf pans.
Halve this recipe if required.
1 cup chia seeds
2 cups coconut water
2 cups dried figs, finely sliced
1 cup currants
¼ cup Davidson plum & balsamic vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 vanilla bean, split
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup almond meal
4 large eggs
6-8 drops Wild Orange essential oil
1 cup pecan nuts, finely chopped
1 teaspoon bicarb soda (aluminum free)
½ cup coconut flakes & chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- In a large bowl, add chia seeds and coconut water.
- Soak for 10 minutes.
- Stir briefly again after 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile place figs, currants, vinegar, water, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a large saucepan.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, discard vanilla bean. Set aside.
- Add almond meal to soaked chia.
- Whisk eggs in a separate bowl. Add to almond meal and chia mix.
- Add Wild Orange essential oil.
- Add bicarb and pecans. Fold in cooled fig mixture.
- Line 2 loaf tins with baking paper and carefully pour mixture in.
- Scatter coconut flakes and chopped pecans over the top. Press in gently.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. Test with a skewer. Bake longer if required.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving so as to firm.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You might also like…
Give the gift of Gowings this Christmas with two delicious eBooks. Buy the bestselling The Healing Feeling $19.95 and get the brand new Celebrate Well eBook $9.95 for half price! Grab the 2 for just $24.95!!