Raw almond feta salad
This pretty little salad requires up to 48 hours to prepare all of the components. Do not despair, make the raw feta and the activated spicy tamari, maple sunflower seeds and buckwheat in advance so you have them on hand to assemble a nourishing breakfast salad, a pretty work day lunch, a very special romantic entree for your lover, or as part of a festive feast for all.
Breakfast salads are becoming increasingly popular. In Byron Bay over the weekend I paid over $30 for one that pales by comparison to this little stunner. The perfect start to a great day, or use it as health insurance like I do in case the rest of my day goes pear shaped. Load your salad with lots of extra goodies such as avocado, animal protein of your liking – cured ocean trout would be great with this – or a natural breakfast topper which are readily available in good food stores. Guaranteed to amp up your nutrient density for the day and give you those all important essential fatty acids and brain boosting protein kick start.
Raw almond feta
1½ cups raw, pesticide free almonds, skin on
½ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
3 tablespoons best quality extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup water
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled (pending on your taste)
1 teaspoon Murray River salt
1 capsule probiotic
- Place almonds in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Cover with filtered water and soak overnight for up to 12 hours.
- Strain off the water and peel the almonds. This is a meditation!
No, there is no machine to this, and yes, you have to do this step!
- Place peeled almonds and remaining ingredients in a high speed blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Line a medium size mixing bowl with a double folded layer of clean cheesecloth.
- Spoon almond feta into the cheesecloth.
- Gather the edges of the cheesecloth into a bundle, like an ol’ fashioned Christmas pud.
- Secure with a rubber band or tie with natural string.
- place a colander or sieve underneath your cheesey bundle.
- Place back into the mixing bowl.
- This will allow any excess moisture to drain off.
- Chill overnight.
- Next day, remove from cheesecloth, either discard or wash cheesecloth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, adjust seasoning as required.
- Store in a butter dish as I have or any airtight container in the fridge.
- Use within 5 days.
Activated spicy tamari maple sunflower seeds & buckwheat
As you soak the almonds above, soak sunflower seeds and buckwheat overnight in another bowl.
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup buckwheat groats
1 tablespoon tamari
1 dessertspoon maple syrup
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Soak sunflower seeds and buckwheat overnight.
- Drain and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Marinate in tamari, maple and cayenne pepper for up to 1 hour
- Transfer to 2 Teflex sheets or parchment paper. Spread well across the sheets.
- Dehydrate for 12-24 hours at 140 C.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge.
For the salad
2 tablespoons raw almond feta
3 tablespoons activated spicy tamari maple sunflower seeds & buckwheat
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
½ cup sunflower sprouts
2 radish, very finely sliced
6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
Murray River salt
Cracked black pepper
Olive oil to your liking
- Spoon a quenelle of raw almond feta on each plate.
- Scatter activated spicy tamari maple sunflower seeds & buckwheat.
- Carefully arrange remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- Garnish with edible flowers, micro herbs and olive oil.
- Serve with love!