Who doesn’t love a jolly good dose of cheesy macaroni?! Made even better with Jamon Serrano.
Jamon Serrano reproduces the traditional Spanish ham method that has been used throughout the centuries by the Serrano Ham experts. It is available in Australia behind the deli counter at major supermarkets.
Follow our fabulous Consorcio Serrano on Facebook & Instagram
Cheesy baked macaroni with Jamon Serrano
- Total Time: 59 minute
- Yield: Serves 6
2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
Olive oil or butter for greasing
For the bechamel
2 cups milk
1/4 cup plain flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
8 slices Jamon Serrano, torn
4 spring onions, sliced
For the topping
3 cups tasty cheese, shredded
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat the oven to 170 C.
- Lightly butter a baking dish or brush lightly with olive oil.
- Boil the macaroni in salted water as per instructions. Drain most of the water off but do save some because it helps to add a thickener to the macaroni. Set aside.
- Meanwhile make the bechamel – in a large saucepan, combine the milk and flour and whisk to combine well. Then add salt and pepper and continue to cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened and gently bubbling.
- Now stir in spring onions and 2 of the 3 cups of shredded cheese. Cook until the cheese has melted then remove from heat.
- Add cooked macaroni to the sauce and stir until well blended.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the remaining breadcrumbs with the 2 tablespoons of melted butter and stir gently until all the breadcrumbs have absorbed the butter – this helps the breadcrumbs to be crisper.
- Spoon the macaroni mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese and then sprinkle the prepared breadcrumbs.
- Top with torn Jamon Serrano and bake for 30-40 minutes or the topping is browned and crunchy and the side of the dish is bubbling around the edges. Yum!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-40 mins
- Category: Jamon Serrano