Chicken quinoa san choi bao
Here’s a healthy take on a Chinese favourite. Perfect for a beach picnic on Christmas Day or to use up leftover turkey on Boxing Day.
Makes about 16 lettuce cups
700 grams organic chicken mince
300 grams quinoa, rinsed well
1 x 375 gram can water chestnuts, drained, roughly chopped
1 med-large knob ginger, peeled, finely chopped
2 med hot chillies, chopped
100 ml tamari
50 ml honey as desired
50ml macadamia nut oil
20 ml sesame oil
1 tbsp potato flour (glutenfree)
16 lettuce cups
5 sprigs coriander
Julienne carrot and capsicum strips
Slivers of shallots
- Rinse quinoa well and cook with absorption method using 1 cup quinoa to 1.5 cups water
- Heat oil in wok and add mince, chillies and ginger cook for a couple of minutes.
- Stirring constantly to break up any lumps.
- Add tamari and maple syrup and cook further.
- Mix in potato flour with little water to thicken slightly. Add to chicken.
- Check seasoning, fill into washed and trimmed lettuce cups.
- Garnish with sprinkles of carrot, shallot, capsicum and coriander.
- Serve some sweet chilli sauce and lime wedges on the side.