A modern twist on a Chinese favourite, inspired by my friend Lyndy Lee’s mother’s traditional recipe and an old 1985 Gourmet!Print
Claypot baked chicken, aduki beans, black jasmine rice
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2-4 1x
1.3kg – 1.5kg organic chook, rinsed and dried
½ cup dark soy
¼ Shao Xiang – Chinese cooking rice wine or dry sherry
1 tablespoon tamari
1 cup water
2 teaspoons coconut sugar
2 piece tangerine peel or fresh orange peel
2 cinnamon sticks
6 white peppercorns
3 coins ginger
1 star anise, rinsed or ¼ teaspoon anise seeds
4 shitake mushrooms, fresh or dried and soaked for 15 minutes or more
- Over a low heat combine soy, Shao Xiang, tamari, water.
- Add sugar and cook gently until dissolved.
- Allow to cool and set aside.
- Prepare stuffing as below and stuff chook.
- In the bottom of a claypot or small casserole dish that will snugly fit your bird.
- Place ½ dry ingredients, then chicken and then the remaining dry spices.
- Pour tamari mixture over the chicken, cover with lid.
- Place in a cold oven set at 170 C and cook for 2 hours, basting after 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 120 mins
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Claypot
- Cuisine: Modern Chinese
Aduki bean and black jasmine rice
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Do this for all steamed rice – you’ll be delighted with the result.
The seaweed helps to neutralize toxins from the dried bean – do this for all legumes
1 cup black jasmine rice, soaked overnight
2 cups water
1 slice ginger
½ cup aduki beans, soaked overnight
1 teaspoon dry hijiki or wakame seaweed
- Cook jasmine rice in 2 cups water until all liquid has absorbed.
- Remove from heat, cover with a tea towel and a lid and allow the remaining steam to absorb moisture
- Set aside.
- Cook aduki beans with seaweed in plenty of boiling water.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes until the beans are just done or al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- Combine rice and beans.
- Stuff chicken with enough to fill the cavity and serve the remainder warm as a side dish.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Plant-based
- Method: Absorption
- Cuisine: Plant Based