Gav & Tash’s Christmas Cake
It’s not everyday that you wake up to a fantastic recipe posted by a friend and shout “You Bewdy”! But that’s exactly what happened in the wee hours of this morning as I wiped the sleep from my eyes and read through Gavin Hughes’, Head Chef at The Byron at Byron Resort & Spa and his wife Tash’s easy Christmas Cake. In just under 2 hours, this ripper cake had the crowd here at The Kitchens Robina begging for the recipe. It was served warm because they would not wait, and crumbled ever so slightly, so do let yours cool completely before you slice.
So tasty, so quick and you, too can make it just in time for Christmas. I found the fondant icing in a roll on the supermarket shelf, much to the delight of the little girls who had just visited Santa next door, just for fun!
Gavin & Tash’s Christmas Cake
250 grams unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
200 grams brown sugar
5 large organic eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 tablespoons brandy
1.5 kg mixed dried fruit and nuts (I used cranberries, sultanas, raisins and almonds)
150 grams golden syrup
375 grams plain flour, sifted
Fondant icing and edible sugar roses
- Grease and line a 20 cm square tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and eggs together in a food processor.
- Mix remaining ingredients by hand in large bowl.
- Spoon mix into tin (it’s very thick) smooth down.
- Tap the tin on work surface to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake at 140 o c for approx 1.5 hours.
- Pour extra brandy over the cake when out of the oven.
- I used store-bought fondant icing and edible sugar roses to finish.
Recipe @tashstamm ❤️ The Byron at Byron Resort and Spa