Easy peasy chicken pie
This is truly an easy peasy pie! So quick and can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes plus baking time if you have some cooked chook and ready-made pastry handy.
½ tsp. butter
2 sheets ready rolled flaky pastry, thawed
½ chicken, roasted, flesh removed, shredded
1 cup pumpkin, peeled, cubed, roasted
1 cup sweet potato, peeled, cubed, roasted
½ cup parsnip, peeled, cubed, roasted
1 cup peas, cooked
½ tsp. dried mixed herbs
Pinch salt & cracked black pepper
Extra milk for brushing
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Grease an ovenproof pie plate with butter.
- Line with a sheet of pastry. Trim edges as required. Set aside.
- Combine cooked chicken, roasted vegetables, herbs, salt & pepper in a large bowl.
- Fold through béchamel sauce.
- Transfer to prepared pie plate.
- Add second sheet of pastry over the top. Trim edges, as required.
- Pierce a few holes in the pastry with a fork to allow steam to escape.
- Brush pastry sheet with milk.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
Bechamel sauce *amended from Taste.com Yields 2 cups apprx.
30g butter, chopped
1 tbspn plain flour
2 cups milk
Pinch ground nutmeg
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming.
Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until mixture is smooth. Return to heat.
- Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 12 minutes or until sauce comes to the boil, thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt and nutmeg.