Love bacon but think pigs are nice? These little rashers of sweet crispiness are a squealing good masquerade of that decadent piggy treat. Did you know that most conventional bacon contains gluten? Let alone all the other nasty nitrates and nitrites that preserve. You’ll need a dehydrator for this one but it’s a small price to pay if you’re a recent convert to veganism or just want to have a healthy start to your day.
Eggplant ‘bacon’ – who knew?!
This recipe as first published in 2013, but it’s so good it’s had a refresh!
You’ll get about 25 slices from a large eggplant
1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into thin 5mm slices
2 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Brookfarm lime and chilli infused macadamia oil
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Combine all marinade ingredients together
- On a flat tray, layer eggplant slices and cover with the marinade for at least an hour
- Brush with marinade from time to time
- Place slices in a dehydrator
- Dehydrate at 115 degrees until dry and crispy for about 12 hours