Eggplant ‘bacon’ – who knew?!
This recipe as first published in 2013, but it’s so good it’s had a refresh! You’ll get about 25 slices from a large eggplant
Love bacon but think pigs are nice? These little rashers of sweet crispiness are a squealing good masquerade of that decadent piggy treat. Did you know that most conventional bacon contains gluten? Let alone all the other nasty nitrates and nitrites that preserve. You’ll need a dehydrator for this one but it’s a small price to pay if you’re a recent convert to veganism or just want to have a healthy start to your day.
- Total Time: 12 hours
- Yield: About 16-20 pieces 1x
- Diet: Vegan
1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into thin 5mm slices
2 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons organic honey
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chilli, fresh or dried, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke *see note
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Combine all marinade ingredients together. Marinate for 30-60 minutes, brushing with marinade from time to time.
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Bake 45 minutes until the eggplant is chewy-to-crisp pending on your preference.
- Place slices on Teflex sheets and dehydrate at 115 degrees until dry and crispy – about 12 hours.
Liquid smoke is a water-soluble yellow to red liquid used as a flavouring as a substitute for cooking with wood smoke while retaining a similar flavor. It can be used to flavour any meat or vegetable.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins – 12 hours
- Category: Plant-based