This recipe is one that came to me via my Mum. It’s the one thing I love to cook when I feel like going home, or being around my family (BIG on family) when they are not there, I can cook this and it smells, tastes, feels like being home. It’s a dish I always have post tours, especially in winter. The measurements are all approximate ‘cos it’s a ‘feel’ thing!
1–2 tablespoons very good quality olive oil
2 chicken breasts, cut into 2 cm pieces
A couple of chicken wings – to make it fly!
140g tomato paste – or fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1–2 brown onions, peeled and chopped any way you like
Fresh sprigs of rosemary, thyme and parsley
350 ml of white wine (that’s about half a bottle, if you need more liquid add chicken stock if handy)
1 cup mushrooms, sauteed – optional
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Heat oil in a have based casserole dish. Add chicken pieces and cook over a moderate heat until brown.
- Remove chicken and set aside while you add tomato paste to the browning juices in the same pan.
- Add onions, garlic, herbs and Herbamare to taste, then add white wine.
- Cook it to a good brew, then add the browned chicken and let it simmer on a low heat for about ten minutes.
- Place into oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Add some sauteed mushrooms on top.
- Add a sprinkling of parsley and serve it with a yummy butter lettuce salad.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: Comfort Food