It’s not too late to whip up a batch if you’ve already got the ingredients in your gluten free pantry.
Figs are believed to have been Cleopatra’s favourite fruit and possess powerful aphrodisiac powers due to their fleshy texture and sensuous resemblance to the female form.
Originating in Syria, figs have antioxidant properties and may help to improve plasma integrity, also rich in fibre to ensure a smooth digestion.
150 grams dried figs, roughly chopped
175 grams almond meal
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 cup yoghurt
50 grams unsalted pistachio nuts, shelled
1 dessertspoon fresh ginger, grated
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Cover figs in hot water and allow to soak for 15 minutes, strain and set aside
- Meanwhile, combine almond meal and bicarb in a mixing bowl
- In another bowl, beat egg, add yoghurt, ginger and strained figs
- Fold in the almond meal into the egg and yoghurt mixture, then add pistachio nuts and cinnamon. Mix through gently
- Place spoonfuls of heaped batter into non-stick silicone muffin trays and bake for 30-35 minutes
*Makes 6 good sized muffins so double the recipe if you want them to last!