1½ cup spelt flour
1½ teaspoons bicarbonate soda
1 cup hazelnuts finely processed or 1½ cup hazelnut meal
1½ teaspoon vanilla powder
4 tablespoons coconut sugar
½ cup cacao nibs
1½ cup dates, pitted, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons chia seeds soaked in ½ cup water for ten minutes
½ cup coconut oil
1 cup rice or nut milk
1. Preheat oven to 170 C. Line 24cm baking loaf tin with baking paper.
2. In a food processor combine the spelt flour, bicarbonate soda, hazelnuts or hazelnut meal, vanilla powder and coconut sugar. Pulse until well combined.
3. Add the pitted, roughly chopped dates, soaked chia seeds, coconut oil and milk. Pulse gently to bring the wet and dry ingredients together, be careful not to puree.
4. Transfer to a lined baking tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. This helps the cake to firm and set as it cools down.
6. When completely cool, slice and enjoy on its own or with a side of plant-based cream or ice cream of your choice.
7. Store leftover cake in a sealed container in a dark place for up to 3 days.