How to make healthy seafood gumbo
What is a gumbo? It’s a soup popular in the U.S. state of Louisiana, and is the official state cuisine. Gumbo consists primarily of a strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and what Louisianians call the “Holy Trinity” of vegetables, namely celery, bell peppers, and onions. (wiki)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 1x
- Category: Stews
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Diet: Gluten Free
6 large green king prawns, shelled, deveined
150 g salmon fillet, skin off
4 scallops in shell
6 clams, cleaned
6 mussels, cleaned and beards removed
2 tbsp olive oil
½ Spanish onion, peeled, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
½ tsp ground coriander seed
1 teaspoon thyme chopped
1 long green chill, seeded, de-ribbed, finely sliced
1 long red chilli, seeded, de-ribbed, finely sliced
1 green capsicum, seeded, de-ribbed, finely sliced
1 red capsicum, seeded, de-ribbed, finely sliced
6 okra, sliced diagonally
3 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
500 mL fish stock, water or dry white wine
Fresh coriander roots, washed, dried
2 limes, halved
- Set a heavy based pot on high heat, heat oil, add onion and garlic and saute until soft and opaque.
- Add ground coriander, thyme, chilli, capsicum and okra, increase heat a little and cook a few minutes more.
- Add stock, water or wine and tomatoes, bring to a simmer and gently cook at least 15 minutes until okra has thickened sauce slightly.
- Add prawns shelled and whole, salmon, scallops, mussels and clams, fit with a tight fitting lid and cook till shells open.
- Cook another 3 minutes then season to taste.
- Arrange carefully between two large bowls, distribute the whole prawns evenly.
- Garnish with lime and fresh coriander sprigs.
Here’s a healthy seafood gumbo recipe initially commissioned for Sunburst coconut spread. It’s a quick and easy Sunday lunch that is guaranteed to impress. Use only the freshest seafood you can find and avoid using frozen. Gorgeous pics by Nelly le Comte food, style and flavours by us! First published January 2016.