Cashew milk is so easy to make and more cost-effective than store-bought varieties. Soak the nuts a little longer to make milk than you would soak for cashew cheese.
How to make your own cashew milk
- Prep Time: 4-9 hours depending on soaking time
- Total Time: 4-9 hours depending on soaking time
- Yield: About 4-5 cups 1x
- Diet: Vegan
1 cup raw cashews
4 cups water
1 to 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey or agave nectar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
1. Soak the cashews in water for around 4 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Drain the cashews and rinse well until the water runs clear, then drain again.
3. Add the cashews and two cups water to a blender. Start on a low setting and increase the speed until the cashews are totally pulverized. This could take 2 minutes in a high-powered blender or longer in a regular blender.
4. Slowly add the remaining water, more or less depending on your desired consistency.
5. Then add the maple syrup or honey or agave nectar, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon (optional).
6. If your blender can’t totally break down the cashews, strain the milk through a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth.
7. Store the milk in a glass jar or bottle with a lid in the refrigerator and use within 3 days.
8. Be sure to give it a shake before using if it has been sitting the fridge.