Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, known as ‘Parmesan’, is one of the world’s oldest and richest cheeses – still produced today as it was nine centuries ago. Totally natural – it’s the only cheese that has such an extensive maturation which improves the nutrition, aroma and taste. The use of raw milk and the richness of natural ingredients make this cheese a unique and superior product – It takes 14 litres of milk to produce one kilogram of cheese! The minimum maturation time for Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is 12 months, but only when it reaches approximately 24 months of age, is it at its best. As well as having fantastic nutritional qualities, it’s easy to digest and is high in calcium.Print
Seared beef carpaccio, Parmigiano Reggiano
Here’s a delicious seared beef recipe with Parmigiano Reggiano.
Prep 30 minutes
Cook 15 Minutes
Serves 20 tastes
For the beef
2 x 250g beef fillet, trimmed
3/4 cup Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
1 tbsp oregano, finely chopped
1 tbsp thyme, finely chopped
100 g Parmigiano, grated
Extra-virgin olive oil
Aged balsamic vinegar
100 g rocket leaves, washed and patted dry
- Wrap beef in plastic wrap, rolling ends to form a tight even cylinder. Place on a small tray in freezer to chill and firm for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mustard and garlic in a bowl, season to taste. Remove beef from the freezer and discard plastic wrap. Brush garlic oil mix evenly over beef.
- Scatter herbs a large plate and on and roll beef in herbs, pressing to cover evenly.
- Heat a medium sized pan to a moderate-high heat. Add olive oil and ear beef evenly by rolling until completely seared. Allow to rest before slicing.
- Thinly slice with a very sharp knife arrange on a platter and scatter with rocket. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar to taste, season to taste, scatter with rocket leaves and serve with Parmigiano Reggiano.
Parmigiano Reggiano, pea & mint slaw
- Total Time: 17 minute
- Yield: Serves 4-6 as a side 1x
500 gm peas, podded, blanched
1 large white cabbage, shredded
2–3 bunches mint, roughly chopped
5 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 long red chilli, deseeded, very finely chopped
500 gm 24 month old Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
500 ml extra virgin olive oil
250 ml lemon juice
Fresh figs, quartered
- Blanch peas in boiling water, drain and refresh, pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine peas, cabbage, herbs, chilli and half the Parmigiano Reggiano in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Whisk lemon juice and olive oil together a pinch of salt to make a dressing. Fold into slaw.
- Divide between serving plates adding remaining Parmigiano Reggiano or serve with fresh figs as a large salad.
- Prep Time: Prep 15 minutes