Prawn and kiwi summer salad
Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit with its very high vitamin C guarantees that my recipes are bursting with flavour, antioxidants and all-important immune boosting activity while the low G.I. count ensures balanced energy throughout the day. This recipe was exclusively styled and developed for Zespri, photographed by Nelly le Comte. Like our work? Get more info on our food styling and product development services here.
Warm King Prawns and Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit Salad with Herbed Quinoa
Serves 4 as an entrée or side
An ideal essential ingredient of a warm winter salad. The subtle sweetness of SunGold is a wonderful accompaniment to shellfish as well as oily fish such as salmon, swordfish or ocean trout, and chicken.
2 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled, very finely sliced
500g green king prawns, cooked, peeled, deveined and sliced in half lengthways
1 cup assorted sprouts – snow pea tendrils, mung bean, bean shoots
200 grams mixed lettuce leaves, washed, dried
2 birds-eye chillies, seeds removed and chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 lemons, juice and zest
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup white quinoa
2 cups water
¼ cup mixed herbs, finely chopped
1. Combine king prawns, spouts, lettuce, chilli, red onion and parsley in a large bowl.
2. Add a half of the dressing and toss well.
3. Arrange on a serving platter and carefully place the SunGold Kiwifruit slices through the salad.
4. Drizzle remaining dressing over salad.
5. Finish with a good grind of pepper and a sprinkle of sea salt.
6. Place quinoa in a large bowl. Cover with water and gently rub the grain between your hands to wash off the bitter coating. Drain well and rinse until water becomes clear.
7. Bring water to the boil, add rinsed quinoa, salt and olive oil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the grains become translucent. Place a clean dry tea towel over the pot and place a lid on top. This will help to absorb excess moisture and make the quinoa very fluffy and light until – and keep it warm until ready to serve.