Here’s a special occasion recipe perfect for brunch or as part of a vegetarian feast or a main meal. Baked pumpkin is delicious on its own, as is the eggplant hummus, but even greater when the two meet! Figs are one of the sexiest fruits on the planet. These plump, sweet and luscious beauties come from one variety of the Fichus tree, which probably originated in Asia Minor, and is one of the oldest, edible plants. Figs are a natural laxative and their tiny seeds assist the colon in elimination.
Pumpkin, eggplant hummus, baby pickled figs
Here’s a special occasion brunch recipe perfect for Mother’s Day or as part of a vegetarian feast or a main meal. Baked pumpkin is delicious on its own, as is the eggplant hummus but even greater when the two meet!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Brunch
- Cuisine: Australian
- Diet: Vegetarian
1/2 small organic butternut pumpkin, cut into 4 wedges, skin on
1 Tbs macadamia oil
Pinch or 2 of salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
6 baby pickled figs, halved, *use sliced dried figs if preferred
1 Tbs syrup from fig pickled figs, *use maple syrup if preferred
2 Tbs crème fraiche, marscapone, fetta, cashew cheese or sheep’s yoghurt of your choice
Micro herbs – I uses coriander, red radish leaves, to serve
1 tsp pink peppercorns, crushed between your fingers
2 medium eggplants, wiped over
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 x 400g tin cooked chickpeas, drained
2 Tbs white tahini
1 lemon, juice only
1/4 cup herbs – coriander, mint and/or parsley
2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp smoked salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
Cayenne pepper *optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Rub pumpkin wedges with macadamia oil, salt and smoked paprika.
- Prick eggplant with a fork a few times to let out steam while baking.
- Place the pumpkin and eggplants on a baking tray.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until pumpkin tender.
- Remove pumpkin from oven, set aside.
- Add garlic cloves to baking tray and continue baking eggplant for a further 10-15 mins or until the eggplant is tender. You can slice in half to check or press gently with your fingers being careful not to burn them!
- Remove eggplants and garlic from oven. Allow to cool then remove the stalk and roughly chop.
- In a food processor, add eggplant, garlic, drained chickpeas, tahini lemon juice, herbs, olive oil, smoked salt and smoked paprika.
- Blitz until crumbly but not pureed. Add more smoked salt, smoked paprika and a pinch of cayenne pepper – if you like.
- Spread a bed of eggplant hummus on serving plates.
- Place pumpkin wedge skin side down on top of eggplant hummus.
- Add halved pickled figs, fig syrup, crème fraiche and micro herbs.
- Finish with pink peppercorns, crushed between your fingers
Keywords: #mothersday #plantbased