Rockin’ Women Wednesdays – Nelly le Comte
Today’s Rockin’ Woman is my creative collaborator, the beautiful and inspiring Nelly le Comte. A passionate food photographer and stylist with a great knowledge of produce and how to enhance food into mouthwatering images. Food styling and recipe development are some of my favourite services that we offer here at FHW – and working with a pro like Nelly has been one of the highlights of this year.
Originally from Amsterdam, Nelly is now based in the Byron Bay hinterland. She studied photography and fine arts at the Royal academy of Fine Arts in The Hague. Her years of experience as a food photographer for clients, cookbooks and magazines has lead her to publish Byron Bay – A food journey through the region. This book features some of our Surf Spa Food recipes and is a stunning 208 page must-have item published by Sample festival founder Remy Tancred, celebrating a food journey through the region with a collection of recipes and photographs from the regions finest producers, caterers, restaurants and cafes.
You will love her!
1. What’s your survival food when you’re on tour or working late in your business?
I am pretty good food wise during the day, eating nutritious healthy food, but evening and night time just requires chocolate for me, This chocolate muesli bar recipe from Brookfarm with organic dark chocolate will definitely keep me going.
2. What’s your healthy go-to comfort food – either at home or in a restaurant?
I love nuts so this slice of cake from the crystal castle is sweet enough for me and still feels healthy to eat.
3. Do you have a secret remedy that keeps either your voice / mind / body in shape?
As I love food not just to photograph but also to eat I have to exercise to stay in shape. So I run for dessert. Lately I got back into horse-riding, using muscles I didn’t remember they exist! To keep my mind sane I always look at the positive and laugh a lot.
Here’s some of Nelly’s great work.
Brookfarm muesli hedgehog slice
I really liked the buckwheat flavour of this muesli in this, but the regular variety could also be used here.
Serves 16 Prep time: 10 minutes + chilling time
Cook time: 5 minutes
¼ cup coconut cream
200g dark chocolate (45% cocoa solids), chopped roughly
2 cups Brookfarm gluten-free muesli
½ cup desiccated coconut, plus 2 tbsp extra
¼ cup shelled salted pistachios
Extra pistachios, cranberries and macadamias to top
- Line a square 20cm slice tin with baking paper
- Place coconut cream in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until it comes to a simmer
- Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Stir, until chocolate is glossy and melted
- Place muesli, ½ cup desiccated coconut and pistachios in a large bowl and mix well
- Add half of the melted chocolate and stir to combine
- Spoon mixture over base of tin, pressing gently into corners
- Add the extra 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut to the remaining melted chocolate and mix
- Pour over the slice and spread evenly
- Top with extra pistachios, cranberries and macadamias
- Refrigerate overnight or until firm then turn on to a board and cut into 16 squares
Vegan banana and pecan cake
The recipe from the Crystal Castle has been modified slightly to fit our Food Health Wealth wholefood protocol 🙂
4 cups organic self raising flour – or try coconut flour for a richer, more dense option
2 cups coconut sugar
2 cups chopped pecans
5 ripe bananas (2 mashed, 3 chopped)
1 cup macadamia oil
375ml apple juice
1 cup almond milk
½ cup coconut nectar
4 cups almond meal
2 cups icing sugar
4-6 tbsp nuttelex (keep an eye out for the new Sunburst coconut spread launching Oct 2014!)
Almond milk to blend ( 3 tablespoons approx)
1 ½ cups toasted almonds (shaved)
¼ cup pecan halves
¼ cup goji berries
¼ cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 165˚C.
- Grease and line with baking paper a 28cm (diameter) round cake tin
- In a bowl place flour, coconut sugar, pecans together
- In a separate bowl mix apple juice, almond milk, oil and coconut nectar together. Add bananas
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet mixture
- Bake for 1 hour
- Blend the almond meal, icing sugar and nuttelex in a blender
- Slowly add almond milk until you have the right consistency
- When the cake is cool ice the entire cake and garnish
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Love Nelly’s photos?
You can double date us! We offer a fantastic recipe development, food styling and photography service.
We have combined our strengths to offer tailored packages to food producers and brands to develop, style and photograph recipes to showcase your product. Brands and products need specially designed recipes and images to target their market. Whether aiming at the real foodie or the young and fast consumer, we’ll work with you to create the right recipe and image for your products. Each recipe will be delivered in portrait, landscape and banner style to optimize web and print flexibility.
We will develop three recipes in conjunction with you; shop, cook, style, plate and photograph the delicious dishes. You will then receive the images ready for web, print and social media use.
Download our brochure here