Soba noodles with chilli and cashews
This is the kind of dish you can throw together when there’s nothing in the fridge, especially if you’ve been travelling and take away is just not an option. Providing you have a few Japanese staples kicking around the pantry, you’ll have a quick, nutritious fix in no time.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Category: Japanese
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Healthy
125 grams (1/2 packet) 100% buckwheat or green tea cha soba noodles
1 teaspoon macadamia oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
1 small red chilli, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup raw cashews, almonds or pepitas
1 cup broccoli flowerets, or any green vegetable
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon ponzu
1 dessertspoon pickled ginger, shredded
- Cook noodles in plenty of rapidly boiling water. When water is boiling, add ½ cup cold water and allow to return to the boil.
- Repeat twice, then drain and refresh under cold running water. Drain and pat dry with paper towel.
- Heat a little macadamia oil and gently cook garlic and chilli over a low heat.
- Add cashews and broccoli and cook a further 3 minutes until broccoli is bright green.
- Stir thorough mirin and ponzu, spoon into 2 serving bowls, garnish with pickled ginger and serve.