This dish is perfect for health retreat guests as turkey is rich in tryptophan – an essential amino acid that contributes to the synthesis of serotonin and melatonin, our happy, feel good neuro-transmitters. We cheekily call the following day Teary Tuesday as this is traditionally the day when the detox symptoms kick in. Although it’s not all headaches, tears and tantrums, a good dose of tryptophan helps to elevate mood and encourage a great night’s sleep.
In this recipe I have married my love for healthy Chinese food and with the light, unadulterated techniques of raw food, or what I prefer to call Conscious Cuisine.Print
Turkey San Choi Bao
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
2 cups white quinoa, rinsed well
2 cups water
50ml macadamia nut oil
1 small brown onion, peeled and finely sliced
1 tablespoon ginger, peeled, finely diced
1 cloves garlic, peeled, finely diced
4 small carrots, wiped over, trimmed and finely diced
1.5 kg organic free range turkey mince
1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon Schezuan pepper, ground
1 x 375 gram can water chestnuts, drained, finely diced
2 med hot chillies, chopped
100 ml tamari
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 spring onions, finely sliced on the diagonal
1 lime, juice only
2 Iceberg lettuce, wiped over and leaves separated to yield at least 16 cups
Radish slices or sprigs of coriander
- Rinse quinoa extremely well, drain and then place in a medium saucepan.
- Cover with water and slowly simmer until all of the water has absorbed and the quinoa husk hast started to come away from the seed so the quinoa becomes translucent. Remove from heat, cover with a clean tea towel underneath the lid. Allow the heat of the cooked quinoa to create steam so as to finish the cooking method. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the macadamia oil in a large wok over a high heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger and carrots and stir fry for about 5 minutes or until the carrots are par cooked. Remove all ingredients from the work with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reheat the wok if required and add the turkey mince, stir frying over a high heat until lightly browned and coked through. Add Chinese five spice, coriander, cumin and Schezuan pepper.
- Reduce heat and fold through water chestnuts, chopped chillies, tamari, maple syrup and spring onions. Add lime juice. Check seasoning, spoon into individual ramekins. Garnish with radish, spring onions or coriander leaves.
Zucchini avocado terrine
1 zucchini, wiped clean and cubed 5mm dice
2 avocados, cubed 5mm dice
1 lime, juice only
1 long red chilli, seeded and finely diced
¼ coriander, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, gently fold all ingredients until combined. Be careful not to break up the ingredients.
- Carefully spoon into a lightly 5cm ring mould then transfer to individual serving plates.