Here’s a tasty addition to your Christmas or Australia Day menu. Our Turkey Sausage Rolls are great for a covid safe crowd or to have over a few days. A special project we created with the mastermind behind the lens Photographer Nelly le Comte for our long-time friends at Nuttelex.
Puffy Turkey & Herb Pull-Apart Sausage Rolls
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8-12 as part of a feast 1x
A tasty addition to any holiday season table, this pull-apart recipe is ideal for buffet-style grazing. Serve it straight from the oven to table with a really good homemade tomato sauce, passata, chutney or cranberry sauce.
Serves 8-12 as part of a feast, stores in fridge for 2 days
4 sheets frozen puff pastry (defrosted)
3 tbsp Plant-based Nuttelex
1 onion (finely chopped)
1 garlic clove (minced)
500 g lean turkey mince
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp vegan ricotta or silken tofu if dairy-intolerant or regular ricotta or cream, if you prefer
1 tsp fresh herbs – rosemary, oregano and thyme (chopped)
Cracked black pepper
Fresh tomato sauce, passata or cranberry sauce to serve
- Remove puff pastry from freezer.
- Preheat oven to 200 C
- Melt 2 tablespoons of Nuttelex in a small saucepan for greasing and pastry.
- Grease a round flan case with a little of the melted Nuttelex. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon Nuttelex in a frypan over a medium heat, sauté onion and garlic until translucent, about 10 minutes remove from pan, allow to cool.
- Place turkey mince in a mixing bowl, add cooked onion and garlic, tomato paste, ricotta and fresh herbs and season with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Lay a defrosted pastry sheet out on a clean board. Spoon some of the turkey mince mix across the top edge of the pastry, to form a sausage shape.
- Now roll pastry over to form a tube, seal with melted Nuttelex, and cut the pastry into bite size pieces, about 2-3cm wide. Repeat this process with remaining pastry until all the mixture is used.
- Place sausage rolls as you go into the lined round flan case in a pattern of your choice.
- Brush the pastry with melted Nuttelex and bake for around 20-25 minutes, cooking time may depend on how tightly packed the flan case is.
- Allow to cool slightly before carefully removing rolls, or let your guests help themselves pull-apart style.
- Serve with fresh tomato sauce, passata, chutney or cranberry sauce.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Christmas
- Cuisine: Festive