This turmeric health tonic contains the kings of spices. Powerful curcumin acts as a free radical scavenger, and an a microbial warrior.
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Tonics
- Cuisine: Food as medicine
1 teaspoon fresh turmeric, grated (do not substitute dried)
1 teaspoon raw honey
Juice of 1 lemon or lime
Black or cayenne pepper
- Select the central body of the turmeric if using a large piece.
- Scrape off the peel with the side of a teaspoon, then grate into a teapot or saucepan.
- Top up with boiling water.
- Strain into a glass or cup and mix with honey and lemon or lime juice.
- Add black or cayenne pepper as desired.
While the majority of turmeric is cultivated in India, it is also grown and harvested in a few other regions of the world. Turmeric is one of the key ingredients in many curries, providing them both colour and flavour. The root and rhizome (underground stem) of the turmeric plant are used medicinally.